Wednesday, July 1, 2015

TransAlps 2015: Day 4 Livigno to Aprica

Day 4. Livigno, Italy to Aprica, Italy.
143km. 3,475m of climbing.
5hr15min. 7th in Masters on the day. 12th in Masters GC.

Queens stage today, meaning hardest day of the event. Tackled one of the most famous climbs in Italy that often figures in the Giro d'Italia - Gavia. 25km and 1,500m of ascent. Followed that up with the Mortirolo, another climb that has been included in the Giro. We climbed the "less" steep route up, but it still was plenty steep gaining around 1000M in 12km.

Canada Day. We got to wear our Nations Champions jersey and were called up to start at the front of the field with the other overall leaders in each category. That was the high point.


Low point. My partner swore at me. We don't save the expletives just for the (other) clown riders, we also dish on each other. Frankly, surprised it took four days.

Back story. Last Thursday, prior to departing for Europe, Wilbur, Method Man (our 2012/2014 Canadian Express teammate) and I met for a quick chinwag. 

Method Man from our 2012 tour for those who are new to the blog.


Method Man (aka "Ribs") has ridden more events with Wilbur than I have. I asked Ribs - "what do I need to know about riding with Wilbur?" One answer was, "Wilbur likes to ride in front of his partner". Problem is, so do I.

Came to a head today 2/3 of the way up the Gavia. I believe the direct quote was "Get the f*ck behind me!" Well I did, and pretty much stayed there for the balance of the day.

Given today's ride was quite a cracker, no photos from on course. Day started with almost immediate 20min climb. Gangbusters as usual and we rode hard to stay with a fast group. Quick down and short up meant more of the same.

Long descent to Bormio (famous Italian ski town) and then on to the Gavia. We rode well (partner dynamics aside) and crested with a good group. Had a 40km descent and flatish roll to the base of the Mortirolo. Hung onto the group during the nervous descent as the quality of pavement really deteriorates once crossing over into Italy. Group of 9 then pace-lined to the base of the Mortirolo. We were out of liquid so stopped for a feed which meant we rode the Mortirolo and subsequent 30km finish into Aprica on our own. Probably a good thing as the road was narrow and choppy. Day's result was our best of the event.

Shout out to wifey. Not sure how long she'll let me keep this photo up, but she and sister (also pictured in photo) are in France on a family trip. Very fortunate to have wife that is encouraging of all the riding and other activities I get to do. She hid an awesome note in my bag that I found a couple days after arriving in Germany. Great surprise. She's a good one.

 

Easier day tomorrow, but to hold or improve our position we will have to ride hard.

3 comments:

  1. Wilf yells " stay the fuck behind me" when it's busy at Whole Foods. He can't help himself. Good work today!! Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment is making me laugh my ass off.

    ReplyDelete